Wednesday, July 23, 2008

little bit of success

I think I mentioned a while back about a composting workshop we did. Well, we finally got around to applying the compost and it has made a little bit of a difference on some of the blackberries and potatoes. So I'm excited to have actually done something, although peace corps warns us not to have the american attitude of wanting to see results right away. But it's kind of hard not to, especially when everyone here has been so nice and welcoming and I feel that I need to do something to deserve it. Next up is planting some vegetable gardens and working on getting some of the blackberry bushes pruned.
For my b-day last week I ended up going with a group of tourists on horseback to the cloud forest. It was a fun trip and the cloud forest was beautiful. My rear was a bit sore afterwards as I hadn't been on a horse for a long time, but it was a small price to pay for the experiance. My three month quarantine is finally up so I can travel in Ecuador now without getting special permission. It's a peace corps policy that you have to stay in your site for the first three months to make sure you get intergrated into the community. Right now I'm just thinking of spending a night in the nearby town to have some alone time. I love the community here but I think I'm starting to get a bit of cabin fever. So a night away would be nice.

No comments: